Friday, September 6, 2013

Minneapolis Salvation Army

Reviewed August 26, 2013



I love it when readers give me suggestions on new shops to visit. The Twin Cities is such a huge hodge-podge of thrift, designer resale and vintage stores, each one more fun than the next, that's it's impossible for even the most seasoned Thriftdogger to sniff out all of them. Even so, you ask, how could I  possibly have missed the granddaddy of all the TC Salvation Armys, the one right downtown at 900 N. 4th ? Heck, I dunno. I live in West Bloomington, people. Like most of my tribe out here, I'm a bit of an ostrich in the sand when it comes to going downtown.

However, the delightful Melinda S., recently relocated from New York, is no such sloth, and alerted me to the store as one of her favorites, and with good reason. Quite simply, the place has just about everything. Well, except air conditioning, but I'll get to that in a minute.

I went down there on one of the hottest, sultriest of days of the summer with a gentleman friend who I was dating, now deceased (meaning his identity as my boyfriend is now deceased. As far as I know, he's still breathing), and without a thing to wear for our dinner and a movie later on. But duty had called, and I (rightfully) put ThriftDog before laundry, figuring I could easily find a little something to wear from the shop. Which of course, I did.

The place is huge - two full floors of stuff. On the main floor is the standard vintage, gently used and one of a kind finds you will discover at most Salvation Army stores, and where you just might be able to find a unique treasure or two. Melinda N. mentions rounding up a pair of genuine Manolo Blahniks from the shoe aisle for 12 dollars, and although I had no such luck on my visit, I did buy a great pair of white satin ballet-style flats with leather soles for 3.99. The size of the place means that there is some of just about everything - shoes, luggage, dresses, kids wear and a decent sized men's section, where my male friend found a few things he was interested in, but ultimately decided to wait in the car for me without buying anything because it was too hot to try stuff on.
 
In terms of high-end designer finds, unlike the Bloomington SA I didn't see much that was  outstanding. It's really more of a place to go if you've just moved here and need stuff - but boy, can you get some. The downstairs, especially, is a real treat for Target addicts, because it's all Target off-stock, brand-new off-the-rack items that Target has cleared to make room for their new merchandise and donated. (It was there that I purchased my evening's outfit, a black, brand-new Target sun dress for 10 bucks and a cute overshirt for 12 dollars, also brand new.)
 
In addition to the Target clothes, the downstairs also offers off-stock Target furniture that you can buy for up to 75 percent off, as well as kids clothes, sporting good, shoes, underwear and toys. I'm even told you can even get a great deal on cosmetic items (Melinda N. did), although I didn't see any when I was there, so perhaps they sold out.
 
This downtown Salvation Army is a great time-passer if you are in the area. But I didn't spend nearly as much time there as I would have liked, and I recommend that you wait till the cool season to go there yourself, because it was hot as a furnace in there and they have no air conditioning.
 
Why this is I don't know, because the SA in Bloomington does, and a few measly fans simply doesn't cut it when the heat index is hovering around 107 degrees outside. The people working behind the counter all looked like they were going to be sick. When I mentioned that they really needed AC, the poor guy ringing me up shook his head and sort of half-moaned, "I know. We keep telling the manager, but..." I didn't hear the rest of the sentence because I think he choked on a sweat blob.
 
So, manager at the Downtown Salvation Army: Please do yourself, your employees and your customers a favor and invest in  central air. If your place was actually recommended by one of my readers, imagine how much wild fun your cash register will have if you provide both your new and  loyal visitors with a more comfortable shopping experience.
 
Salvation Army
900 N 4th St
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(612) 332-5855
 
Salvation Army Thrift Store on Citysearch
 
 
 
EmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmojiEmoji



No comments:

Post a Comment